[sugar] New Activity Proposal -- "Your voice on XO"

Alex Escalona aescalona at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 11:15:06 EDT 2008

HI Josh,

Thank you for voicing your support! It's great to hear that there is general
interest out there for this type of activity.

I have to confess that I have not tried the existing process for adding a
new voice. However, I am aware of the efforts required to undergo such an
undertaking, and hope to make such endeavors more accessible for XO users
and their communities.

Can you share any experiences or knowledge that you might have on this
subject? I understand that you were involved in creating and maintaining the
"Speak" activity on the XO. As well, I have noted some interest in this
proposal on the devel list (e.g.,
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-February/011076.html). And of
course, I know that Hemant Goyal has done considerable work in forwarding
Speechd on the XO as a speech synthesis interface, as well as advancing
efforts in TTS in general.

Best,
Alex