[Server-devel] PRE-Released: Internet-in-a-Box 6.5 Preview 2

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Nov 10 16:11:12 EST 2017

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 03:43:50PM -0500, Adam Holt wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Adam Holt <[1]holt at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>     Including [2]IIAB 6.5 PRE-Release Notes :-)
>
>     But just a warning that Raspbian's mirrors (download servers) were barely
>     working at all over the past ~12 hours or so, so you might have much better
>     luck installing on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Debian 9.2.1 or possibly CentOS 7.4 in
>     the coming hours?
>
>        [3]https://github.com/iiab/iiab/releases
>
> Reconfirmed: disturbingly [4]http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org is hemorrhaging
> (works less than 50% of the time today, as [5]http://
> downforeveryoneorjustme.com/mirrordirector.raspbian.org confirms) for almost
> 24h now.

Only the redirector affected.  Can temporarily use a nearby mirror
site if you know the URL and can change configuration.  Not an option
for ease of use though.

> Consequence: those installing on Raspbian are having to run "./iiab-install"
> 10+ Times In A Row today, just to finally get a regular install (e.g. [6]http:/
> /download.iiab.io/6.5/rpi/load.txt) to incrementally/finally complete on
> Raspberry Pi 3.  What normally would just happen on its own within about an
> hour.
>
> Better to take the day off !
>
> ( Possibly someone knows how we can build more resiliency into Raspbian package
> downloads/updates in future, using [7]https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianMirrors
> or similar? )

Make a preinstalled image and deliver that instead.  That's what we
did with the XO.  With everything already included, you just have to
get one file, and don't need precious internet.

>     What's new?  Our prototype replacement for ./runansible allows installation
>     of [8]IIAB 6.5 Preview 2 to progress far more efficiently, far more
>     readably -- and to recover roughly where it left off during a large
>     net-based install, avoiding repetition!  So once you have [9]all your OS
>     prereqs in place, you can now run IIAB's new 9-stage / incremental
>     installer as follows:
>
>        cd /opt/iiab/iiab
>        ./iiab-install
>
>     NEW: it will even warn you if your Ansible and/or Raspbian kernel are not
>     recent enough, and guide you to fixing these 2 most essential prereqs!
>     Finally, most installers/implementers will still want to use a 1-line
>     install/load scripts -- to walk away from the keyboard and have most
>     everything taken care of.  As such, YES all our install/load scripts now
>     take advantage of "./iiab-install" 9-stage incremental/recoverable installs
>     too:
>
>        [10]http://download.iiab.io/6.5/rpi/
>
>     RECAP #1: if you suffer from a connectivity failure during installation of
>     IIAB, the vast majority of problems are quickly solved by re-trying "./
>     iiab-install" (after Raspbian mirroring sites hopefully come back to life
>     later today!)
>
>     RECAP #2: Raspbian folk...until the new Raspbian OS (point release) is
>     officially released in coming days by the Raspberry Pi Foundation & All,
>     avoid kernel compatibility hassles using this temporary measure to prep
>     your OS properly, just prior to installing:
>
>        apt update
>        apt install raspberrypi-kernel
>        reboot
>        (then install IIAB as above, either way!)
>
>     Thanks all who've helped make this an incredibly high-quality pre-release
>     already, just a few short weeks away from its final release sometime later
>     this November!!
>
> --
> Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ [11]http://unleashkids.org !

> [1] mailto:holt at laptop.org