[Server-devel] Internet-in-a-Box & OLPC-like technologies in Ethiopia: 1PM NYC Time Thur March 23

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sat Mar 18 14:46:12 EDT 2017

Please meet 2 very hard-working volunteers who will share their schools'
digital library construction ambitions in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia this
Thursday:

   - Giuseppe Chiappini, IT professional from Virginia, who is comparing
   the Edubuntu+Offline Wikipedia approach offered by http://Camara.org
   - Andreas Gros, Facebook analytics engineer from SF, who gave an
   incredible introduction to his work last week at
   http://youtu.be/-4-GpTa-pJ0

Please note this is an human-centered design & engineering discussion more
than a formal presentation, from 2 dedicated individuals pushing hard to
get the right technologies and the right content into the hands of young
children at 2 schools/centers in Ethiopia's capital, and rather soon.

As such, all are welcome to this voice call IF you RSVP in advance!  We
will compare and contrast Giuseppe & Andreas' 2 approaches, and learn more
about the particulars of their 2 schools' need in Ahmaric, English and
other languages.  Finally we will discuss how Internet-in-a-Box (formerly
XSCE) Version 6.2 can and cannot fulfill these specific needs.

See y'all Thursday 1PM NYC Time, and please view Andi's recent video
presentation to OLPC San Francisco above (YouTube link above) prior to
joining Thursday so we can support Giuseppe & Andi as best we can then,
without retreading old ground!

We ask that all (including Andi & Giuseppe) post their own topics &
questions here in advance of and during the call, insofar as you can
please, so everybody learns what they most urgently need from this
call -- *questions
written into the Agenda/Minutes below will have priority over live
questions when we inevitably run out of time :)*

http://tinyurl.com/iiabminutes

Finally, I don't know if Lidet Tilahun (
https://et.linkedin.com/in/lidet-tilahun-62108817 who organized most of
OLPC's famous Ethiopia work over the years, such as
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Ethiopia#Content starting around 2008/2009)
is available to join us, but I will ask her privately if she too might have
a minute to say hello during the call too, see you then!!

Adam