[Server-devel] [XSCE] DRAFT: How can one remotely access Internet-in-a-Box servers?

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Mar 10 05:34:09 EST 2017

On Mar 10, 2017 2:09 AM, "Anish Mangal" <anishmg at umich.edu> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
wrote:

> Hi, Anish
>
> That would be helpful. Behind a router means, I believe, that the internet
> connection is made through the router's firewall. As I understand it, that
> firewall uses NAT to return the response to the correct client. So I am not
> sure how the presence of a proxy would interfere even in this case with
> setting up an ssh session to the schoolserver.

OpenVPN is _meant_ to work in such a setting. And many other settings. It
doesnt depend on an external router NATting. Thats the whole point of it.

> My understanding of an appliance is that it works without administration,
> so I am not clear on how such a configuration fits into this discussion.

'Appliance' here means that the XSCE doesn't control the network, rather is
just another device on it.

https://github.com/iiab/iiab/blob/6.3-wip/docs/NETWORKING.rst

Updated version of the above doc:
https://github.com/xsce/xsce/wiki/IIAB-Networking