[Server-devel] Debian LTS Clarification & UbuCon @ SCaLE March 1-2 (free)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Feb 20 19:30:38 EST 2017

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 07:05:01PM -0500, Adam Holt wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 6:05 PM, James Cameron <[1]quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>     No sign of ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR here with same version of Chromium
>     package on Raspbian.  Please check your system clock is correct; SSL
>     depends on it.  Booting while disconnected, then later connecting, can
>     cause clock not to be set.  Common problem with Raspberry Pi because a
>     real-time clock was omitted to lower cost.
>
> This RPi3 has an RTC, and is online with Ethernet these days, and so shows the
> correct time for both reasons (RTC & ntp).
>
> I rebooted to see if that might would help, but no.
>
> Changing the Timezone briefly to Europe/London and the back to America/New_York
> (within X -> Raspberry menu in top-left -> Preferences -> Raspberry Pi
> Configuration -> Localisation -> Set Timezone) raised my hopes perhaps falsely,
> as [2]https://google.com suddenly started working for 10 min after that, but
> most all other Google sites remained blocked with ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR.
>
> Cause/effect are unclear, as I cannot reproduce that getting [3]https://
> google.com to appear again, so the above may have been a fluke.

Same version of Chromium is working fine on a Raspberry Pi 3 on my lab
bench, without RTC, with NTP, so there must be something in your
environment causing problem.

There are many possible causes; my guess about clock was just the first one.

Dig deeper into the message; see if you can elicit further detail from
Chromium.

You might also try using "wget" to reproduce the error in a Terminal
window, e.g.

$ wget https://google.com/

This may give more detail as to the reason for the protocol error.

So find a URL that causes the error in Chromium, then copy and paste
the URL for use by wget.

As far as OpenSSL is concerned, both wget and Chromium are callers;
they use OpenSSL.

> I will post to [4]https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=
> 174870 to see if others hopefully have ideas?

It does not seem likely to be unique to Raspberry Pi 3, so you might
widen your engagement to OpenSSL and Chromium supporting sites.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/