[Server-devel] Debian LTS Clarification & UbuCon @ SCaLE March 1-2 (free)

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Feb 20 19:05:01 EST 2017

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 6:05 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> No sign of ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR here with same version of Chromium
> package on Raspbian.  Please check your system clock is correct; SSL
> depends on it.  Booting while disconnected, then later connecting, can
> cause clock not to be set.  Common problem with Raspberry Pi because a
> real-time clock was omitted to lower cost.

This RPi3 has an RTC, and is online with Ethernet these days, and so shows
the correct time for both reasons (RTC & ntp).

I rebooted to see if that might would help, but no.

Changing the Timezone briefly to Europe/London and the back to
America/New_York (within X -> Raspberry menu in top-left -> Preferences ->
Raspberry Pi Configuration -> Localisation -> Set Timezone) raised my hopes
perhaps falsely, as https://google.com suddenly started working for 10 min
after that, but most all other Google sites remained blocked with
ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR.

Cause/effect are unclear, as I cannot reproduce that getting
https://google.com to appear again, so the above may have been a fluke.

I will post to
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=174870 to see if
others hopefully have ideas?

You may also use "apt" instead of "apt-get" like this;

> apt update
> apt full-upgrade
>
> You may also find "apt-get clean" to be more comprehensive than
> "apt-get autoclean".
>
> There's also a package for automated unattended upgrades, see
> "unattended-upgrades".

3 excellent tips above.  Thank you James.