[Server-devel] Debian LTS Clarification & UbuCon @ SCaLE March 1-2 (free)

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Feb 20 20:00:43 EST 2017

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 7:30 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 07:05:01PM -0500, Adam Holt wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 6:05 PM, James Cameron <[1]quozl at laptop.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >     No sign of ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR here with same version of Chromium
> >     package on Raspbian.  Please check your system clock is correct; SSL
> >     depends on it.  Booting while disconnected, then later connecting,
> can
> >     cause clock not to be set.  Common problem with Raspberry Pi because
> >     real-time clock was omitted to lower cost.
> >
> > This RPi3 has an RTC, and is online with Ethernet these days, and so
> shows the
> > correct time for both reasons (RTC & ntp).
> >
> > I rebooted to see if that might would help, but no.
> >
> > Changing the Timezone briefly to Europe/London and the back to
> America/New_York
> > (within X -> Raspberry menu in top-left -> Preferences -> Raspberry Pi
> > Configuration -> Localisation -> Set Timezone) raised my hopes perhaps
> falsely,
> > as [2]https://google.com suddenly started working for 10 min after
> that, but
> > most all other Google sites remained blocked with ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR.
> >
> > Cause/effect are unclear, as I cannot reproduce that getting [3]https://
> > google.com to appear again, so the above may have been a fluke.
>
> Same version of Chromium is working fine on a Raspberry Pi 3 on my lab
> bench, without RTC, with NTP, so there must be something in your
> environment causing problem.
>
> There are many possible causes; my guess about clock was just the first
> one.
>
> Dig deeper into the message; see if you can elicit further detail from
> Chromium.
>
> You might also try using "wget" to reproduce the error in a Terminal
> window, e.g.
>
> $ wget https://google.com/
>
> This may give more detail as to the reason for the protocol error.
>
> So find a URL that causes the error in Chromium, then copy and paste
> the URL for use by wget.

I'm not sure how to get details of the ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR message.

Certainly https://www.google.com and https://www.youtube.com etc load fine
in other browsers like wget, lynx, etc.

(On this/these RPi3's the problem is unique to chromium-browser
56.0.2924.84-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1000)

As far as OpenSSL is concerned, both wget and Chromium are callers;
> they use OpenSSL.

Interesting, even if it didn't reveal error details for me, ah well.

> I will post to [4]https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=
> > 174870 to see if others hopefully have ideas?
>
> It does not seem likely to be unique to Raspberry Pi 3, so you might
> widen your engagement to OpenSSL and Chromium supporting sites.

Agreed 100%