[Server-devel] spring cleaning of http://xsce.org/downloads incl Official Images anybody can make!

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Apr 3 13:39:13 EDT 2017

FYI lesser-used images have moved from:

   http://xsce.org/downloads/xsce-release-6.2/rpi/

to:

   http://xsce.org/downloads/xsce-release-6.2/rpi/other-images/

Meanwhile George Hunt is streamlining the README publication/guidelines
process, so any competent sysadmin can publish their own Internet-in-a-Box
images for broad & very tangible community benefit!

As we increasingly tighten up http://tinyurl.com/iiabimages, our new
publication guidelines spec, as slick downloadable Internet-in-a-Box
install images begin to circulate to new education-centric demographics
very shortly (and we avoid ftp site swamps ;)

These scripts are not 100% finalized yet but FYI as a preview they're very
close (standardize.sh
<https://github.com/iiab/iiab-factory/blob/master/box/generic/standardize.sh>,
finalize.sh
<https://github.com/iiab/iiab-factory/blob/master/box/generic/finalize.sh>,
compress.sh
<https://github.com/iiab/iiab-factory/blob/master/box/rpi/compress.sh>) and
together they will ensure Internet-in-a-Box regional/linguistic/OS
communities have the tightest install images they need, thanks to a civic
IT/librarian culture empowering all:

   1. Follow community DevOps conventions, strengthening our movement
   2. Respect everyone's privacy+security, As Much As Humanly Possible
   3. *Include fun/starter content included right out of the BOX!  Thanks
   especially to Josh Dennis fighting the good fight here, such that new
   implementers/librarians/contributors have an ever-strengthening springboard
   launching their DIY selections of Content Pack upwards ~ rather than
   slapping them back down into the curation-is-too-hard whiners' swamp ;)*

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !