[Server-devel] ditch all *.img.md5.txt ? (*.img.zip.md5.txt far more useful)

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Thu Apr 6 15:45:04 EDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 6:46 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> Too much noise is a good argument.
>
> Solutions can be;
>
> 0.  omit the checksums if they are used less than 10% of the time
> (check your logs),
>
> 1.  use one file to contain all checksums, e.g. MD5SUMS,
>
> 2.  don't use Apache indexes, but instead use a script or template to
> generate friendly HTML with file name, checksum, on one line,
>
> Also, it surprises me you-all aren't using any digital signatures on
> the files; but then I think of your user base who wouldn't necessarily
> have the time to be able to verify one, let alone an MD5.

Good suggestions all around, thanks James-

For now it seems we're on a deadline, and with no objections over the past
3-4 days, we'll just push ahead Tim's suggestion to ditch/remove
*.IMG.MD5.TXT from http://download.iiab.io to reduce noise.

George,

Can you go ahead now and remove line 72 from
https://github.com/iiab/iiab-factory/blob/master/box/rpi/cp-sd ?
   md5sum $FILENAME > $FILENAME.md5.txt

Keeping line 73...
   md5sum $FILENAME.zip > $FILENAME.zip.md5.txt

--

Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !