[Server-devel] [XSCE] Has anyone else seen squid swap.state bloat?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed May 11 00:52:50 EDT 2016

You don't say why a separate partition is impractical.

The Squid intent from antiquity was that the filesystem be separate,
which in those days was only practical and performant with separate
partition or disk, with a filesystem tuned for many small files.

To use a separate filesystem yet avoid separate partitions, use a
filesystem on a loopback block device, backed by a large file.  You
will find the performance equivalent.  For example;

	dd if=/dev/zero of=/squid-cache.ext4 bs=1M count=256
	mkfs.ext4 -F /squid-cache.ext4
	mount /squid-cache.ext4 /var/cache/squid

Experimentation with parameters to get around a Squid misbehaviour is
impractical; given your deployment feedback cycle, it could take
years; only real-world experience is valid.

Or set up a big red button "clear the cache" that is tested to work
even with a full disk.

Using a cron job to destroy the cache if disk space is short might be
a better first option; but design and test it to not require disk
space to run.

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/