[Server-devel] XS(CE) integration with other environments?

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Tue Mar 10 15:02:08 EDT 2015

You are taking my remarks a bit out of context, although it is hard for me
to tiptoe around explaining things while trying not to insult anyone.

>From the schoolserver perspective, schoolservers as originally implemented
were meant to be an all-in-one system.  They provide DHCP for the laptops,
act as the Internet gateway, provide anti-theft & backup services, etc.

Sugar & XOs have hardcoded logic expecting the schoolserver to be called
"schoolserver".  Schoolservers are also expected to have certain hardcoded
IP addresses in case an XO runs into anti-theft problems, etc.

But in larger networks/school districts, I have seen schoolservers
installed into networks where they are not allowed to control DHCP.  They
often were not the Internet gateway, and local policies might not allow
them to be called "schoolserver".  Occasionally the schoolserver isn't even
in the same building as the XOs, and may be on a completely different
subnet.

This is a whole concept I once called "Sugar for the Enterprise {school
district}" but I don't know if that is worth pursuing at this time.

XSCE is interesting in that it supports things like Internet-in-a-box which
are not XO specific.  And from what I've seen, the XSCE community may in
some ways be more active than the Sugar community.

But it is unclear to me what features the XSCE community is implementing to
support deployments other than those they are directly involved with, or
what the feedback loop is there.