[Server-devel] XS(CE) integration with other environments?

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Mar 10 14:16:47 EDT 2015

Can someone further explain Sam Greenfeld's suggestion below from
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2015-March/017279.html ?  No
obligation, but if there are common requests missing from XSCE & similar,
let's understand them:

The XO/Sugar/Schoolserver combination was originally promoted as a complete
solution which could be used independently without anything else.

But in practice, there is a need to integrate with other solutions.  Sugar
may be a great educational environment but there is a need to tie it into
existing schools and curriculums.  OLPC had educators on staff looking into
this problem, but I don't think we have that luxury.

As an example, the same kludge hacks kept being made over and over to
integrate Sugar & XOs into environments where the schoolserver might not
control the network, proxy authentication/802.1x networks were used, etc.
For some reason this functionality never made it upstream.