[Server-devel] Feedback: Problems with XSCE

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 29 16:58:34 EST 2013

Funny you just described the situation that I was dealing with in Australia, very centralized administration with some of the lower level IT people having no clue on the design of there infrastructure. Let's not forget the need to function with proxies that my require userid/passwords. Avahi addresses the need to have control over the DNS when you have a server local to the LAN that it serves. Anything is possible when you have cooperation with the IT staff where need to have the DNS work correctly, that is few and far between. Yes one could run a custom image with the schoolserver's info imbedded in the image, don't think that would scale to well with potentially a different image per school. Now one could alter an image to embed this info using the xo-custom routine of mktinycore, that would save generating new images per school given that you're only changing small bits of info, think that would be the preferred method.

I await your proposals, I'm all for cleaning up the mess to make sugar easier to deploy on a existing network. I'm sure with enough brain storming a workable solution can be found to cover most of the deployment situations if upstream sugar is receptive to the idea that doesn't come from the select few.

Good luck,

Jerry