[Server-devel] My Observations and experiences with XSCE 0.2.1

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 21 16:34:27 EDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 14:33 -0400, Richard Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 6:30 AM,  <tkkang at nurturingasia.com> wrote:
>
> > I used the testing repo. Installation, registration and access went well on my XO 1.75.
>
> Interesting.  So I wonder whats up with my setup.  I'm slightly
> different in that I'm not using a AP rather I have a USB network
> adapter in the client XO and I'm connecting directly to the USB
> adapter on the XS.

That places 2 network adaptors on the client XO and might interfere with
name resolution, just want to be sure what is the contents
of /etc/resolv.conf are. Can you post that info and maybe the output of
route -n from the XO client please?

> The network functions fine it just won't register.

We saw this once while testing, and has come up on the mailing list
before, it appears that registration fails if the XS doesn't have a live
internet connection(even with the XS-0.7). Does this new XS really have
internet access?

>  Same setup works if I connect to a 0.7 XS and if I nmap the 0.7 XS I
> see that port 8080 is open.

I can see via netstat -nat that 8080 is open on the XS

> On the client XO please install nmap "sudo yum -y install nmap" and
> then "sudo nmap schoolserver" (assuming you took the default domain)
> and post the results.  I'm curious if you have something on 8080.

My XO's using the build-in wifi for access to the XS can register
without any issues. Lets see what's up with the add-on network adaptor
setup.

Jerry