[Server-devel] My Observations and experiences with XSCE 0.2.1

Richard Smith richard at laptop.org
Thu Mar 21 16:52:51 EDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 14:33 -0400, Richard Smith wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 6:30 AM,  <tkkang at nurturingasia.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I used the testing repo. Installation, registration and access went well on my XO 1.75.
>>
>> Interesting.  So I wonder whats up with my setup.  I'm slightly
>> different in that I'm not using a AP rather I have a USB network
>> adapter in the client XO and I'm connecting directly to the USB
>> adapter on the XS.
>
> That places 2 network adaptors on the client XO and might interfere with
> name resolution, just want to be sure what is the contents
> of /etc/resolv.conf are. Can you post that info and maybe the output of
> route -n from the XO client please?

Its back at my apartment atm and I'm headed out for the weekend but I
might be able to give you that before I leave. If not then Sunday
night when I return.  I be very surprised if its a network connection
or name resolution problem on the client though.  I can ping
schoolserver, I can browse schoolserver, I can surf the internet (via
schoolserver) and in the tcpdump traces I clearly see the name
resolution completing and then the attempt to connect to the school
servers IP at port 8080 and receiving a reset in response.

>> The network functions fine it just won't register.
>
> We saw this once while testing, and has come up on the mailing list
> before, it appears that registration fails if the XS doesn't have a live
> internet connection(even with the XS-0.7). Does this new XS really have
> internet access?

Yes it has internet access and it works fine on my test XS-0.7 which
does not have internet access.  I'm using Sameer's virtual box XS-0.7
and there is no upstream network.  Only a single bridged eth device
which on the VM host side is not even assigned an IP.

>>  Same setup works if I connect to a 0.7 XS and if I nmap the 0.7 XS I
>> see that port 8080 is open.
>>
> I can see via netstat -nat that 8080 is open on the XS

I'll check my XS and see if its the same.

>> On the client XO please install nmap "sudo yum -y install nmap" and
>> then "sudo nmap schoolserver" (assuming you took the default domain)
>> and post the results.  I'm curious if you have something on 8080.
>>

> My XO's using the build-in wifi for access to the XS can register
> without any issues. Lets see what's up with the add-on network adaptor
> setup.

I've got an AP I can use to test with as well but I just didn't want
to go through all the hassle of setting that up for 1 XO.

--
Richard A. Smith
One Laptop per Child