[Server-devel] village server

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Sat Aug 17 09:27:42 EDT 2013

Hi,

I assume this situation is also solar-powered. What is the range over
which the school server has to be accessible? Do you wire the APs back
to the central location or provide solar power directly to each?

I fully agree that the school server needs its own power in a solar
environment. At the first school in Lesotho, the solar installation
provides more than enough power so that the server did not require
additional panels. However, additional panels were installed to enable
the server to be located nearer to the 'computer room' when it was
expected all computer classes would be conducted in that room.

At the second school, the laptops are charged from individual panels so
that the school server needs a dedicated solar panel and set of batteries.

Even in the community server situation, I would expect it would be on
say from 0700-1100 and shut down overnight.

Tony