[Server-devel] Server-devel Digest, Vol 76, Issue 21

Anish Mangal anish at activitycentral.com
Sat Aug 17 08:35:24 EDT 2013

On Aug 17, 2013 5:02 AM, "Adam Holt" <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 2013-08-17 at 07:40 +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:> By the way, the
need for the school server is closer to 50 hours per

>> > week than 24/7. Normally it needs to be booted only during the hours
>> > when children are in school.
>>
>> Valid point, that should be taken into account when calculating total
>> power requirements.
>

> Certainly this changes dramatically in orphanage-school environments in
Haiti, where I and volunteers are finding newfound success.

> Kids need to read in the evenings (and unforeseen times) on their XOs,
from http://internet-in-a-box.org and most importantly much younger
material, rare colorful ebooks we've been granted in Creole.

I think this may be the case in a few other places as well. For example in
Bhagmalpur, the school server isnt deployed at a school but a somewhat
central location in the village and the children can access the server
anytime, not just during school hours.

Also one might think that the XS consumes negligible power when compared
with 50 xo laptops but keep in mind that the server needs to come across as
an 'always on' appliance, including all the wireless APs. Thus while the
laptops might be used for, say 2-3 hours a day. An XS must be kept on
always, along with the hard disks, and along with all the wireless APs. In
such a scenario I would say the the XS preferably have its own power supply
and backup system.

> So 100 hours/week or 24x7 appears to be the need (in this dominant Haiti
use case) across the growing number of "true community schools" where we're
working with in Haiti, some orphanages, some not.  This is certainly a
change from when Tony helped us so much in Haiti 2 years ago, as 1 unique
school.  Now Haitian schools are ask us for "digital library" service
morning, afternoon and evening.

> And while we're certainly not always able to provide this, George Hunt
and others are doing our best to MoE (movin' our electrons ;) when the
Right to Read is so central to so many things. EG. we have 5000 books
sitting in a warehouse near LA that tragically cannot be shipped to Haiti
due to shipping costs -- meanwhile lowpower XS(CE) digital libraries
purring through most evenings appear to be unlocking this central problem,
long before the boat arrives from LA years later.