[Server-devel] Server-devel Digest, Vol 76, Issue 21

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sat Aug 17 08:02:16 EDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-08-17 at 07:40 +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:> By the way, the
> need for the school server is closer to 50 hours per
>
> > week than 24/7. Normally it needs to be booted only during the hours
> > when children are in school.
>
> Valid point, that should be taken into account when calculating total
> power requirements.

Certainly this changes dramatically in orphanage-school environments in
Haiti, where I and volunteers are finding newfound success.

Kids need to read in the evenings (and unforeseen times) on their XOs, from
http://internet-in-a-box.org and most importantly much younger material,
rare colorful ebooks we've been granted in Creole.

So 100 hours/week or 24x7 appears to be the need (in this dominant Haiti
use case) across the growing number of "true community schools" where we're
working with in Haiti, some orphanages, some not.  This is certainly a
change from when Tony helped us so much in Haiti 2 years ago, as 1 unique
school.  Now Haitian schools are ask us for "digital library" service
morning, afternoon and evening.

And while we're certainly not always able to provide this, George Hunt and
others are doing our best to MoE (movin' our electrons ;) when the Right to
Read is so central to so many things. EG. we have 5000 books sitting in a
warehouse near LA that tragically cannot be shipped to Haiti due to
shipping costs -- meanwhile lowpower XS(CE) digital libraries purring
through most evenings appear to be unlocking this central problem, long
before the boat arrives from LA years later.

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !