[Server-devel] village server

Anish Mangal anish at activitycentral.com
Sat Aug 17 10:19:57 EDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 6:27 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I assume this situation is also solar-powered. What is the range over
> which the school server has to be accessible? Do you wire the APs back to
> the central location or provide solar power directly to each?

Well, in Bhagmalpur, we plan to install solar backup someday; currently
it's backed up via a UPS. In our case, there are 2 ubiqity picostation
access points, one connected directly to the server and getting it's power
from the same system. The other AP is in repeater mode and has it's own
backup/supply. I'm not saying this will be the case everywhere, just giving
my example :-)

> I fully agree that the school server needs its own power in a solar
> environment. At the first school in Lesotho, the solar installation
> provides more than enough power so that the server did not require
> additional panels. However, additional panels were installed to enable the
> server to be located nearer to the 'computer room' when it was expected all
> computer classes would be conducted in that room.

+1

> At the second school, the laptops are charged from individual panels so
> that the school server needs a dedicated solar panel and set of batteries.

Even in the community server situation, I would expect it would be on say
> from 0700-1100 and shut down overnight.

Do you mean 7am-11pm or 11am? I definitely see the server being powered for
more than 4 hrs in many cases.

Also, looking a little beyond the examples you and me cited, this is an
interesting problem to think about.

* In some situations, say small villages, it might be conceivable to
provide the School Server's wifi network in the entire (or a major chunk of
the village). I'm typically looking at 4-6 picostations per village,
serving about a 100-150 users. This is more like a "Village-wide School
Server" :-)

* In other scenarios, this is not going to work well AT ALL. When kids
often have to travel (walk!) a few kilometers to get to school, you can't
really give them wifi access when they're at home. Thus, here the XS plays
exactly the part it's called, "a School Server" :-)

In any case, the constraints of power, and solar backup will be present,
and we can assume the Server is powered on atleast 6-14 hours a day.

Best,
Anish

P.S. This is what Bhagmalpur looks like from a satellite:
tinyurl.com/bhagmalpur

Tony