[Server-devel] Questions for today

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sat Aug 10 15:39:16 EDT 2013

Hi Tony,

The people developing the Sugar Network are an international team
comprising people from different backgrounds.

Sugar Network is not a cloud-based resource. It is an offline / online
decentralized communication mechanism which runs at three levels
(everyone seems to love cake charts):

     SUGAR NETWORK DIAGRAM

   +~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
   | network.sugarlabs.org |    // instance runs backend node + frontend
web service
   +-----------------------+
  / /restful API*/     /     // ability clone + sync entire SN database
even over USB (sneakernet)
  +-----------------------+
  | optional schoolserver | // instance too, runs backend node +
frontend web service
  +-----------------------+
/ /same restful API*/   /      // gives access to resources at server or
central server
+-----------------------+
| laptop with SN plugin |      // XO clients have special view in sugar
to access
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+

(*) http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Sugar_Network/API

The Sugar Network is designed to transport abstract objects across the
connected/disconnected gap by leveraging schoolservers to concentrate
user interactions and contributions and providing a workflow for
synchronization, with or without a central server.

Find information about the (still untested!) design of sneakernet
functionality at:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Deployment_Platform/Sneakernet

At the moment, only XO users are authenticated to the network (using
sugar's crypto keys). Web users are "demo".

Please try it and let us know how we can improve it, and do join the
conversation at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sugar-network
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21forum/sugar-network> (in cc) for
technical questions.

Best regards,