[Server-devel] XS to become XSCE???

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Aug 6 22:12:01 EDT 2013

> I shouldn't have to write a paragraph...

There are many bibles in this world naturally.  I go with proven experience
------- asking volunteers to write a friendly paragraph has proven to be
the singlemost effective community-building tool in my 6 years with OLPC,
as people in the almost 300-volunteer
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_Gangcommunity remind me every day.
It increases friendly communications and
brings fantastically thoughtful dialogue as documented by open source
practices here --- to keep both a public and an intimate side to all
creative communities:

https://www.theopensourceway.org/wiki/Communities_of_practice#Develop_both_public_and_private_community_spaces

My urban planning community design friends were my inspiration for this
lucky success we've achieved here.  Alongside beautiful public gardens
(like server-devel at lists.laptop.org) the singlemost effective tool that
I've found to help deployments, and build constructive communities, is to
nurture a friendly and intimate space (similar to Walter & Claudia's great
weekly learning meetups on irc, and Australia's
https://www.yammer.com/australianxoteachers/) precisely for the central
reasons Sameer lays out so clearly below.  In short, teachers and
deployment folks especially, deeply needing compassion, de-escalating
public drama, serving the global good without their 9-5 boss interfering,
and avoiding the everpresent "MALE" list culture so common in certain
parts.  That stifling mailing list culture that Chris Ball powerfully
reminds us crowds out female & shy participation by those who keep grabbing
the megaphone to seize their moment global stage.  Real deployment work
begins patiently on the phone, as Daniel Drake explains better than all.
The next steps are private and public forums, for all the reasons Sameer
lays out:

and if you all
> haven't caught on as yet, we are *not* dealing with a technology
> problem! This business of building a dozen different server projects
> is a people problem.

Anyway for all the above reasons everyone who is welcome to join
xsce-devel at googlegroups.com if they want a low-flame environment, to work
on the hard human problems around school server communities of all kind!
We are 30 people and haven't had to kick out any loudmouths yet, and
hopefully we never will have to.  I do remember when I was 10 years old
when I too refused to write a paragraph for any teacherm N.osy S.illy
A.uthority, etc -- so I understand Sameer's preternatural nervousness
perfectly.  But writing a paragraph won't kill any of us I've concluded.
In fact blogging might save us all, according to Bernie Innocenti who
explained this to me eloquently -- around http://planet.laptop.org 's
wonderful diversity of opinions!  So all who want a deployment-level
discussion of school server communities, XSCE,
http://internet-in-a-box.orgetc, just send me any couple sentences on
why you care and that's all there
is to it ------- sure I don't promise you'll meet lifelong soul mates, but
Let's Say You Just Might :-)