[Server-devel] XS to become XSCE???

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 6 22:11:38 EDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 18:19 -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 6:06 AM, David Farning
> <dfarning at activitycentral.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
<snip>

> It's not that complicated. My original assertion was to be clear about
> the roadmap for XS and XSCE. It is now clear that the XSCE project is
> not going to be the next XS. Both projects are very different, and
> convergence may not be in the best interests of all parties involved.
> So be it. Move along. Nothing to see here.

So when does the work on XS-0.8 begin? Might look un-maintained to lots
of potential deployments.

> >From my perspective, XS is designed by OLPC to service their projects,
> which tend to be larger than microdeployments. XSCE, on the other hand
> seems to be driven by smaller LAN size, such as the classroom scenario
> promoted by AU, or my India project.
>
> We use XS 0.7 in Jamaica because it was the only game in town back
> then, it runs atop CentOS, and it uses Moodle, which we are not averse
> to. It is also tried and tested in many other deployments much larger
> than ours, so that's comforting.

No, not really, that was your choice.

> I also use XSCE in India, but for entirely different reasons. I needed
> something that was extremely low power. XS 0.6 that ran on a FitPC was
> ok, but it pulled 8W. I couldn't move up to XS 0.7, because of a PAE
> issue, and didn't have the resources to wrangle with it. The XO 1.75
> as XS running XSCE fits the bill for very low power, although running
> atop Fedora does not give me clear upgrade paths. We'll see how
> quickly that install gets old. In fact, XS 0.6 was on F9, and suffered
> the same fate. Personally, I would prefer the stability of CentOS over
> the newness of Fedora.
>
> Can XS 0.7 serve the features of XSCE?

Already done, moodle et all.

> With a bit of work, sure. Can
> XSCE serve the stability of XS 0.7?

I recall Chris, Adam, and yourself having loads of issues in Jamaica
with the XS-0.7 or was that just an end user mis-configuration? By the
way who got that resolved for you?

> With a little bit of work, sure.
> The difference in design is based on a difference in the needs of
> various projects. I suspect it is also fueled by a "not invented here"
> sentiment.

yup, been on the receiving end of that since 2008.

> While the XS continues to live in the colored box on the wiki as an
> "official" offering from OLPC, as I expect it to be, along with the
> OLPC images for the XOs (and I hope we hear about the roadmap from the
> powers-that-be), I think XSCE needs to grow up and live in its own
> space on the wiki as a proper page, and not live in Adam Holt's user
> page.

Cool, so the XSCE can have space on the wiki?

> It is a community project and it should be treated as such. Let
> the deployment pick and choose what they'd like. If living under the
> same wiki becomes too contentious, space is cheap! Move some place
> else, and while you are at it, please keep the mailing lists open.

Well us mere mortals don't get to see the private OLPC mailing lists,
those are private dealings behind closed doors right?

> shouldn't have to write a paragraph to Adam and ask permission to be
> added to the mailing list.

Our IRC channel is open, come hangout there are others from OLPC hanging
around, join the party.

> That stifles communication, and if you all
> haven't caught on as yet, we are *not* dealing with a technology
> problem! This business of building a dozen different server projects
> is a people problem.

Brought on by a lack of leadership IMHO.

> I look forward to more communication on this and other lists and I
> sincerely hope we can continue to work together as one community.
>
> Oh, and I hope to see you all in October. http://www.olpcsf.org/node/133

Even if my passport is not ready I will present, count on that.

Jerry