[Server-devel] XS to become XSCE???

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Aug 6 21:19:05 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 6:06 AM, David Farning
<dfarning at activitycentral.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> Just noticed that on
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software_0.7 it says that
>> stable version is XS 0.7 and unstable is XSCE 0.3
>>
>> Is this correct?
>>
>> Is XSCE to become XS 0.8? I am all in favor of the two projects
>> merging, but as I understand it, XS and XSCE are two very *different*
>> projects as of now. Some clarification would be great!
>
> This question has many interesting implications! While I don't know
> the answer to your question I do have some more specific follow on
> questions.
>
> Questions about today:
>
> If I am a deployment, large or small, looking to deploy a school
> server, which should I choose? and Why?
>
> If I am a deployment, large or small, looking to make customizations
> to my school server, which 'base' should I choose? Should I upstream
> my customizations or should hold on to them?
>
> If I a contributor looking to help ICT4E move forward, which school
> server should I work on and why?
>
> Questions about the future:
>
> Is the XS feature complete? Does it do everything it can to add value
> to deployments? If there are ways to add more value, is there a plan
> or funding model to support that development?
>
> Is the XSCE feature complete? Does it do everything it can to add
> value to deployments? If there are ways to add more value, is there a
> plan or funding model to support that development?

It's not that complicated. My original assertion was to be clear about
the roadmap for XS and XSCE. It is now clear that the XSCE project is
not going to be the next XS. Both projects are very different, and
convergence may not be in the best interests of all parties involved.
So be it. Move along. Nothing to see here.

>From my perspective, XS is designed by OLPC to service their projects,
which tend to be larger than microdeployments. XSCE, on the other hand
seems to be driven by smaller LAN size, such as the classroom scenario
promoted by AU, or my India project.

We use XS 0.7 in Jamaica because it was the only game in town back
then, it runs atop CentOS, and it uses Moodle, which we are not averse
to. It is also tried and tested in many other deployments much larger
than ours, so that's comforting.

I also use XSCE in India, but for entirely different reasons. I needed
something that was extremely low power. XS 0.6 that ran on a FitPC was
ok, but it pulled 8W. I couldn't move up to XS 0.7, because of a PAE
issue, and didn't have the resources to wrangle with it. The XO 1.75
as XS running XSCE fits the bill for very low power, although running
atop Fedora does not give me clear upgrade paths. We'll see how
quickly that install gets old. In fact, XS 0.6 was on F9, and suffered
the same fate. Personally, I would prefer the stability of CentOS over
the newness of Fedora.

Can XS 0.7 serve the features of XSCE? With a bit of work, sure. Can
XSCE serve the stability of XS 0.7? With a little bit of work, sure.
The difference in design is based on a difference in the needs of
various projects. I suspect it is also fueled by a "not invented here"
sentiment.

While the XS continues to live in the colored box on the wiki as an
"official" offering from OLPC, as I expect it to be, along with the
OLPC images for the XOs (and I hope we hear about the roadmap from the
powers-that-be), I think XSCE needs to grow up and live in its own
space on the wiki as a proper page, and not live in Adam Holt's user
page. It is a community project and it should be treated as such. Let
the deployment pick and choose what they'd like. If living under the
same wiki becomes too contentious, space is cheap! Move some place
else, and while you are at it, please keep the mailing lists open. I
shouldn't have to write a paragraph to Adam and ask permission to be
added to the mailing list. That stifles communication, and if you all
haven't caught on as yet, we are *not* dealing with a technology
problem! This business of building a dozen different server projects
is a people problem.

I look forward to more communication on this and other lists and I
sincerely hope we can continue to work together as one community.

Oh, and I hope to see you all in October. http://www.olpcsf.org/node/133

cheers,
Sameer