[Server-devel] XS to become XSCE???

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Tue Aug 6 09:06:04 EDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> Just noticed that on
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software_0.7 it says that
> stable version is XS 0.7 and unstable is XSCE 0.3
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Is XSCE to become XS 0.8? I am all in favor of the two projects
> merging, but as I understand it, XS and XSCE are two very *different*
> projects as of now. Some clarification would be great!

This question has many interesting implications! While I don't know
the answer to your question I do have some more specific follow on
questions.

Questions about today:

If I am a deployment, large or small, looking to deploy a school
server, which should I choose? and Why?

If I am a deployment, large or small, looking to make customizations
to my school server, which 'base' should I choose? Should I upstream
my customizations or should hold on to them?

If I a contributor looking to help ICT4E move forward, which school
server should I work on and why?

Questions about the future:

Is the XS feature complete? Does it do everything it can to add value
to deployments? If there are ways to add more value, is there a plan
or funding model to support that development?

Is the XSCE feature complete? Does it do everything it can to add
value to deployments? If there are ways to add more value, is there a
plan or funding model to support that development?

Questions for OLCP:

Are there steps OLPC can do to encourage deployments to fund further
development of XS by OLPC developers? Are there steps OLPC can do to
encourage direct development of XS by deployments?

Would it be effective for OLPC to support and fund future development
of XSCE or a product based on XSCE?

Would OLPC officially endorse XSCE as supported project?

Questions for XSCE:

What can XSCE do to ensure that it continues to improve by adding
values to deployments with each quarterly release?

What can XSCE do to ensure future development viability via community
support, deployment support, OLPC support, or support through Activity
Central?

What steps can XSCE do to ensure that is solid base project for future
product offerings by: OLPC-A, XS; OLPC-AU, One Network; Plan Ceibal,
?; OLE-Nepal, ?; Activity Central, Dextrose Server.

Immediate questions:

Is XSCE overstepping by have its wiki at laptop.org? Should XSCE
remain in a user space at laptop.org?

the current blend of xsce-devel at googlegroups.com +
server-devel at lists.laptop.org ?

So.... I don't know the answer to your original question. These are
the questions that come to my mind when I think about the relationship
between XS and XSCE and their future :)

> cheers,
> Sameer

David Farning