[Server-devel] ARM on XS -- how can I integrate my work?

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Jun 25 11:27:00 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 8:14 AM, George Hunt <georgejhunt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not done yet, but I've been making progress on porting XS code to ARM by
> making modifications to DSD's  XS-0.7.  Upon his suggestion, I have been
> basing my work on the srpms posted at
> http://xs-dev.laptop.org/xsrepos/stable/olpc/xs-0.7/source/.
>
> Now that I've got some of the services running, I'm wondering how to
> contribute to the XS codebase.  What I'd prefer is to contribute deltas from
> XS-0.7 that use `uname -p` to enable the appropriate path through the
> startup scripts.

That kind of approach would suggest supporting both CentOS and F17+.
I'm not sure if thats the direction we'd want to go - supporting 2
platforms has its costs. It might be preferred to do a full migration
to F17. You'll need clarification from this from Martin, who's away
until next month.

> Earlier, I started using the git sources at dev.laptop.org, and I discovered
> that there did not appear to be an obvious set of git repos, corresponding
> to XS-0.7. Paths for repos that had the most recent changes included:
>
> /packages/
> /projects/
> /bios-crypto/
> /users/martin/
>
> Any suggestions on how we should proceed?

I think you just need to sit down and hunt these down. It shouldn't
take you long, using version numbers found in the most recent RPM
packages, etc.

Many of the XS component webpages have links to the git repo, e.g.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS-rsync

If there are ones that don't, maybe you can add the links.

And if you really get stuck, you can ask for help for a particular package.

Daniel