[Server-devel] Wireless connectivity issues at Kasiisi w/ new server

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Aug 8 04:35:04 EDT 2012

G'day Brian,

It does sound like the access points or the network are not providing
DHCP service, given that your iPad and laptop both get 169.254
addresses.  They do that in the absence of DHCP.

You will have to add a DHCP service to the network, by either:

1.  configuring the server to provide DHCP, which is probably the
usual method for OLPC XS deployment, or

2.  configuring the wireless routers to each provide a DHCP range, or

3.  configuring an upstream router to provide DHCP.

Using iwconfig and ifconfig manually on an XO is only practical if you
turn off Network Manager.

I'm sorry I don't know exactly which solution is best, as I'm not
sufficiently familiar with OLPC XS.  But I know you have limited time,
so I've given you what I can.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/