[Server-devel] Help buying server for XS

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon Mar 28 22:24:11 EDT 2011

On Mar 27, 2011, at 11:28 PM, Guillermo Narvaez wrote:

> Reuben,
>
> The limitations of this equipment are 60 client per AP, we are using 50 or 55 clients per equipment. This is a dedicated equipment so it need an external controller.
>
> With the frequency issue, the APs of the same school are set in 1, 5, 9 and 11 channels.

We can't recommend this configuration.   There is spectrum overlap between
channel 1 and 5, 5 and 9, and 9 and 11.   Transmissions in channel 1 will interfere
with those in channel 5.   Not completely, thanks to the design of the 802.11 wireless
layer, but enough to significantly degrade the bandwidth available if they are physically
coexistant.

We instead recommend working with channels 1, 6, and 11, which theoretically
have no overlap with one another.

Given the consumer nature of the RF filters in WiFi units, you are best
using only channels 1 and 11 if using two frequencies, to avoid cross channel
interference.    When testing in a dense environment (a classroom), I've seen WiFi
units tuned to channel 1 receive packets transmitted on channel 6.

Regards,
wad