[Server-devel] wwwoffle?

Dan Zubey dzubey at openincident.com
Fri Jan 28 16:19:22 EST 2011

On 01/25/2011 04:34 PM, Andra DuPont wrote:
> Dan,
> Great news on your shell scripting skills..... as I haven't done any.
> Yes, the mutual exclusivity of wwwoffle and squid would be one part.
> Below are some earlier comments from Martin that help define the
> opportunity/plan better.
>
> From Martin's first thoughts on automating wwwoffle....
>>>
>>> - Can we remove the need to set proxy on every XO by either...
>>>   - using a transparent proxy, same as we do with SQUID (maybe make a
>>> TURN_ON_WWWOFFLE script)?
>>>   - serving a proxy autoconfig file via dhcp/apache?

That's certainly doable.
>>> - Is it viable to automate the "go online / go offline" with a
>>> cronjob that pings a public host ( ping -c1 google) every 5 minutes?
>>> Or...
>>>
>>> - If there's a daemon managing the connetion (case of pppd), use the
>>> "down" and "up" hooks? This would only work if the daemon catches the
>>> "link is lost" situation reliably.

The ping option would be better, as it would be independent of any of
the various networking setups that are likely to be found in the field.
So it would work with ppp, isdn, etc.

> A follow up note from Martin with some additional detail/thoughts....
>
>>> how are things going with that wwwoffle script? I am catching up a bit
>>> on my XS stuff and was wondering if life would be easier for you (and
>>> me) following the strategy we've outlined for services in 0.7.
>>>
>>> - a separate init script: /etc/init.d/xs-wwwoffle -- based on what's
>>> in the rpm or what upstream ships
>>>
>>> - a separate config dir /etc/xs-wwwoffle
>>>
>>> - a TURN_WWWOFFLE_ON script (copy the squid approach, we'll come up
>>> with something better for 0.7)
>>>
>>> - if we need to 'sed' anything into the config files, it can be done
>>> in the init script, so a change of FQDN gets taken up in the next
>>> service (or server) restart
>>>
>>> If you give me the scripts and config files (tested ;-) ), I will add
>>> them to xs-config so users of 0.6 can benefit from your work.
>>>
>>> I will polish up the wwwoffle rpm with the latest upstream version so
>>> we ship that one.

What about distributing an rpm package that additionally includes
xs-specific scripts for wwwoffle, apache proxy configuration, and
/etc/init.d ? That way there's no need to do sed re-configuration back
and forth.

-Dan