[Server-devel] PDA mambot on XS

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Sun Oct 3 15:40:16 EDT 2010

Martin, Mike,

I am exploring the possibility of increasing access to the server by
providing mobile-friendly content targeted at people in the community, and
the increasing number of phones with Wi-Fi support. For instance, the school
server as a multi-purpose resource could serve as a sort of on-demand
community radio station broadcasting audio information in the form of mp3s
(or any playable formats commonly used in mobile phones).

It would be nice to have a tidy way to share such content, with user uploads
allowed too, and thus I thought of using a dedicated CMS with a mobile
extension or plugin. I understood by "mambot" that one could use a plugin
that causes mobile browsers to be recognised and then display content
tailored to suit. For instance, Wordpress comes with a mobile "edition"
plugin. On the XS it might run in parallel to Moodle with a different CMS,
and I am experimenting with that on an Ubuntu 10 machine, or there might be
a way to do it with Moodle. It might not be needed, I was happily surfing
the XS on an iPhone without any such reformatting. However, I want to see
what the range of options are, so I am interested in any feedback.

David Leeming
Solomon Islands