[Server-devel] Schools Wikipedia

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Mar 29 17:21:24 EDT 2010

Hi,

   > I'm getting confused on this. I followed the 4 steps Chris
   > outlined and was able to access Wikipedia using Browse at
   > schoolserver:4567. The overall browser activity seemed to slow
   > down, and I could not figure out how to stop the python server
   > and regain control short of rebooting.

You can stop the python server with the usual Unix process techniques;
control-C in the terminal where it's running, or ps awux followed by
kill.

The wikipedia server shouldn't slow down the browser, since there
isn't any computation being done on the browser (other than rendering
the received HTML from the server).

   > David seems to be suggesting that it is not necessary to use the
   > server.py approach with Browse, but use the Wikipedia activities
   > directly. I am going to try that now. How can I point the
   > activity to the Wikipedia data on the server? I would like a
   > large Wikipedia encyclopedia on the server that the XOs access,
   > rather than having to store the info on each XO.

It's possible to use the activities directly if you want the info to
be on each XO.  If you want to use the server, you need to be running
server.py on the server and pointing the browsers at it.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child