[Server-devel] Typical Workflow/Usage of Moodle?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 11:01:38 EDT 2010

Hi Ben,

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 8:17 PM, Ben T <benjtran at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a few machines ready for testing (p4 3ghz 1gb machine, olpc server
> 1ghz 1gb, FitPC 500mhz 512mb, FitPC2 1.1ghz 1gb) as well as a few JMeter
> scripts such as: 1) user logs in, 2) access a course, 3) access a text
> resource, 4) reply to a forum thread, and 5) take a quiz.

Cool! The main workflow is

 - Visit the course page -- coursepages will tend after some time to
be long and "heavy". From a performance-testing PoV, this is the
heaviest point. You can probably mimic it by downloading a sample
course from Moodle.org. Maybe from
http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=15

 - Read & post in a forum

 - Take a quiz...

If you are going to 'capture and replay traffic' with something like
jmeter, you need to know that Moodle uses a session variable
("sesskey") to protect users from CSRF attacks. This of course gets in
the way of the 'replay' part :-)

Your way around it is to set $CFG->ignoresesskey=true; in Moodle's config.php

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com