[Server-devel] School Server installation report

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sat Jul 24 05:54:08 EDT 2010

On Sat, July 24, 2010 2:52 am, Jerry Vonau wrote:

>> I looked at what
>> xs-swapnics did, and I think it would have done the same thing, but I
didn't run it since I don't
>> want to swap the nics, I simply want to ignore the WAN (the school will
have no uplink).

> Would of worked anyway.

I've updated the wiki to explain this.

> There were updates released after the iso was, to update to the latest,
think you should try
> updating with yum:
> yum --enablerepo=olpcxs-testing -y update

Should this be part of the installation instructions before registering
the first XO? I guess you'd have to mention that the first XO has admin
rights, so you shouldn't connect the wireless network until you're ready
to register the admin XO.

>> * Trying to log in to moodle without registering (you get a login
prompt and the instructions
>> imply that you should be automatically logged in).
>
> Check the version of Browse.xo on the XO, you need version 102 or greater.

We are running Browse 102. The version of browse in os300py also behaved
the same.

>> * One laptop wouldn't register until I did ctrl-alt-erase to restart
sugar. It had a temporary
>> name resolution error in it's shell.log but that has been overwritten.

Some additional information here. If you attempt to register while
connected to the wrong network, or while the school server is down then
registration will fail. Having done this, when you connect to the correct
network with a working school server, you get the temporary name
resolution error. I've observed this twice now, once with build 8.2.1 and
again with an XO-1.5. In the first case, tcpdump showed no packets were
received by the school server, I didn't investigate with the XO-1.5. In
both cases ctrl-alt-erase fixed it.

I also found that if you visit the school server in browse before you
register, you get a login prompt. After registering, you still get this
login prompt when you refresh in browse. You have to close browse and
reopen before the auto-login works. I'm guessing you do the login stuff on
session create?

>> Even for a linux expert, installing the XS was quite painful and took
several evenings of work.

> Could of been less painful by editing the ks.cfg on the usbkey to fit
your hardware better before
> you boot the installer.

Sadly, I've never run redhat before (someone had to show me how to yum
when I started messing with sugar). This is a bit of a learning curve.

Hopefully it goes better when I install on the real hardware using the
whole harddrive.

Thanks for the help.