[Server-devel] xs-config's networking layout

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 17:37:47 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> Note that I would put _all_ the services in here -- including those
>> that you list in your point #2. Services naturally are not enabled by
>> default (we do that from our kickstart for the 'real' XS.)
>>
> We could enable the services from within the rpm for these core services
> also.

I think the policy in Fedora is that rpms should not enable services.
And I think that it's a good idea to follow.

For the standard XS, we enable services from kickstart. And maybe we
add a cli script that enables the right ones (for "manual"
installations of xs-config).

>> > I'm thinking that the default services could be bound to 0.0.0.0/0 here.
>>
>> Here we *must* do something else. We need a way to set the WAN IP addr
>> and the LAN IP addr and have things come up right.
>>

> In the single interface model there would be only one ip address (other
> that lo) available for the services to bind too. This address may be

Ok, you are right :-)

> Everybody is going to have a LAN interface, should we just name it as
> such? That would be just a matter of renaming the ifcfg-eth1 file to
> ifcfg-LAN. Could do the same for ifcfg-eth0 which would become
> ifcfg-WAN. Just a thought...

No problem with me.

> Once you need to support 2 interfaces, that is when the services need to
> be bound to the internal interface, and the need to munge the config
> files appears.

You still need to munge many of them for FQDN.

> Think this could just be sed replacements for the above
> xs-config's files coming from the xs-network rpm.

We'll need munging but let's do it from 'template' files, using tokens
(SERVER_IPADDR). Let's have the munging in the init scripts.

> At the end of the day my goal is

... world domination!

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com