[Server-devel] School Server installation report

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 12:33:43 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Tom Parker <tom at carrott.org> wrote:
>>> * Trying to log in to moodle without registering (you get a login
> prompt and the instructions
>>> imply that you should be automatically logged in).
>>
>> Check the version of Browse.xo on the XO, you need version 102 or greater.
>
> We are running Browse 102. The version of browse in os300py also behaved
> the same.

Make sure you have 'registered' the XO with the XS. You do this from
the XO's 'home view' in the menu that offers shutdown, restart,
settings... On OS 802 you have to restart Sugar after registration.

>>> * One laptop wouldn't register until I did ctrl-alt-erase to restart
> sugar. It had a temporary
>>> name resolution error in it's shell.log but that has been overwritten.

That's a known bug with Python resolver libs. If you try registration
before you've joined the AP successfully, it gets stuck :-/

>>> Even for a linux expert, installing the XS was quite painful and took
> several evenings of work.
>>
>> Could of been less painful by editing the ks.cfg on the usbkey to fit
> your hardware better before
>> you boot the installer.

Yeah, the precooked install makes some assumptions. If you fit in
them, life is easier. If you don't... it's not.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com