[Server-devel] We need: examples of XS hardware in use --

Mike Dawson mikeofmanchester at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:19:17 EST 2010

Hi Guys,

There was the info dev list for low cost computing that came out and I
found Aleutia through this.   In Afghanistan we got some T1's:

1.6 Ghz Intel Atom (Fanless)
250 GB HDD
2GB RAM
10-13W Power Use
Accepts 12V DC

http://www.aleutia.com/products/t1

They also produce it with SSD based memory - so that should be less
likely to die out in the wild.  Also was told that we could get it
with two ethernet NICs quite easily.  List price $280 w/o drive.  We
get reseller discounts :)

Visited them in London a few weeks ago when I was out for a couple
days.  Quite impressed.  Even using one in our office for our local
server.

We have a deployment to Kandahar (very hot very dusty) coming up -
will install nagios or something similar for monitoring heat
performance etc. and send that data out.

Regards,

-Mike