[Server-devel] Nonstatic static address

rayb at apc.edu.ph rayb at apc.edu.ph
Wed Jan 13 01:50:31 EST 2010

Hey Martin,
----- Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:53 AM,  <rayb at apc.edu.ph> wrote:
> >> NETWORK=10.106.1.0 is that network shared with the XO's?
> > It shouldn't be, come to think of it.
I just checked with APC's networking guy and he says yes, the client machines should be able to access this (it's our LAN).

> Ray,
>
> XS has 2 NICS,
>
>  - the "WAN" or "external network": are you using wlan0 for this?
No, it's a LAN connection via eth0 (integrated ethernet on the PC).

>  - the wired connection to the AP - I expect you are using eth0, right?
No, this is via eth1, a 3Com NIC that we put into the PC.

> If you are using wlan0, see
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Techniques_and_Configuration#Using_a_different_WAN_connection
I was trying to do this at home with a laptop and a USB broadband modem during the holidays, but didn't get far.  That's in the queue, after we get our PC School Server set up right.

> >> That could be bad.... can you check if NetworkManager is running?
> >> ps -A | grep Network
> > [rayb at schoolserver ~]$ ps -A | grep Network
> >  2755 ?        00:00:00 NetworkManager
>
> That's a bit nasty. Make sure it is disabled as a service via
> chkconfig, and that it doesn't start after a reboot.
NetworkManager is now disabled (I just checked).

The server is now coming up with the desired static address from a cold boot. I was going to test again with my SOAS but unfortunately the stick got corrupted.  I am now making another one.

> cheers,

>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions