[Server-devel] wifi setup

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 10:55:50 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> On 3 August 2010 23:56, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Just now I've set up three access points with the same essid; a NetComm
>> NB600W and two WRT54G running OpenWrt.
>>
>> XO-1.5 and XO-1 development build os304 for release 10.1.2 shows a
>> single icon in the Neighbourhood View, and clicking on it chooses one of
>> the access points.
>>
>> XO-1 stable build os802 for release 8.2.1 shows the same thing.
>>
>> "iwlist eth0 scan" shows three separate access points with different
>> address but same essid.  They are on different channels.
>
> This is indeed the way to achieve what was asked for.

Correct.

> But be careful -
> not too long ago, someone from Uruguay (on devel at lists.laptop.org)
> investigated a setup like this and found that the XO's behaviour in
> picking the "best" access point (and changing once the signal got to
> weak) was quite sub-standard.

That is true -- with build 8.2.1 sometimes the XO "switches" from one
AP to another needlessly. This does not happen in newer builds.

We diagnosed the problem down to wpa_supplicant deciding to switch AP.
In the same investigation we saw that the libertas driver was not
resetting tx failure count periodically -- this may be influencing
wpa_supplicant.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com