[Server-devel] wifi setup

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Aug 4 10:31:16 EDT 2010

On 3 August 2010 23:56, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> Just now I've set up three access points with the same essid; a NetComm
> NB600W and two WRT54G running OpenWrt.
>
> XO-1.5 and XO-1 development build os304 for release 10.1.2 shows a
> single icon in the Neighbourhood View, and clicking on it chooses one of
> the access points.
>
> XO-1 stable build os802 for release 8.2.1 shows the same thing.
>
> "iwlist eth0 scan" shows three separate access points with different
> address but same essid.  They are on different channels.

This is indeed the way to achieve what was asked for. But be careful -
not too long ago, someone from Uruguay (on devel at lists.laptop.org)
investigated a setup like this and found that the XO's behaviour in
picking the "best" access point (and changing once the signal got to
weak) was quite sub-standard. definitely needs some testing before
deployment, and please share your results.

Daniel