[Server-devel] wifi setup

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Wed Aug 4 02:32:35 EDT 2010

Tom

We use multiple APs in schools set up in simple AP mode, using DHCP (not
fixed IP), the same SSID exactly, and only one network icon appears in
neighbourhood view. Same capitalisation is important. But you never have to
choose which one it should connect to. At the current school we had to
accept some 120 sector APs as there was no omnis in stock. Walking about
with Terminal Activity running and pinging, you could clearly see where it
hopped onto a new AP.

Can't add much more from technical point of view. We've used Linksys W54
types, EnGenius various types, DLink cheapo and more expensive types, and
usually in the default state with minimal config - just SSID, simple access
mode and DHCP client. Everything on the eth1 network.

David Leeming