[Server-devel] Allowing Auto-Login to Moodle from 2 Domains

Devon Connolly devcon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 11:04:14 EDT 2009

Let me explain my setup in a little more detail.  The server DNS is
currently set to the standard schoolserver.notredame.sn.  I grabbed a host
redirect at no-ip.com pointing to my WAN router and subsequently the
server at http://notredamemboro.no-ip.info (have a look).  My intention is
to allow the kids to access server services such as Moodle if they are
sick or during the weekends.  Believe it or not, a number of the kids have
access to wifi outside of school.  My other primary reason is to allow the
kids in each class to make weekly blog posts to document their experiences.

Making the host redirect resolve properly on the LAN is a piece of cake
just appending the address to the hosts file.  As you can see right now,
everything works except moodle on the WAN.  I can make it work on the WAN
by modifying the code in /config.php by simply modifying $CFG->wwwroot.
This allows for everything to resolve correctly on the LAN & WAN but
breaks auth/olpcxs.   To test, I redefined XS_FQDN and replaced
'schoolserver' with the WAN host name.  Again, everything resolves
correctly, but auth doesn't work correctly.  If I were to register an XO
with the domain no-ip.info, I imagine it would work, but wouldn't that
require patching a good deal of the ejabberd config also?   Would it be
terribly complicated to rework auth to base authentication simply on UUID
and serial number on any domain?

If you think this is more work than it is worth, it isn't necessary by any
means.  I just think it would be convenient.

Thanks for the info