[Server-devel] Allowing Auto-Login to Moodle from 2 Domains

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 03:30:01 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Devon Connolly <devcon at gmail.com> wrote:
> My intention is
> to allow the kids to access server services such as Moodle if they are
> sick or during the weekends.

That was a key piece of info we didn't have :-)

OK, so a completely unsupported approach that will probably work (you
seem to have good linux experience -- you'll have to sort out any
issues that arise... a bit of elbow grease and...)

 - Yes, you are right, the Moodle address should be the 'public'
'no-ip.com' address. GET requests to http://schoolserver/ should get
redirected, and you need to edit config.php to hardcode that name
instead of reading it from the hostname.

 - Apache is not listening on the WAN port. Create a new config file
in /etc/httpd/conf.d where you add a listen directive, and a
NameVirtualHost directive so that it listens for vhosts there, and add
a vhost copied from the 'normal' Moodle one.

One thing to be careful: there are other vhosts in there, they should
_not_ listen on the WAN address if you can avoid it.

 - After this config, only ssh and apache should be open on the WAN
port. Nothing else must listen on the WAN address.

> Making the host redirect resolve properly on the LAN is a piece of cake
> just appending the address to the hosts file.

 - Avoid editing the hosts file on every XO :-) -- instead, serve the
name from BIND. Edit named-xs.conf.in (and rerun domain_config) to
convince BIND that it is authoritative for the
notredamemboro.no-ip.info domain.

The technique is known as "split horizon dns" if you want to google
for more info -- (you may know these things, I am just adding it for
completeness...)

 - Enabling ejabberd over the internet is harder, and likely to lead
to trouble. Avoid or at least postpone :-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com