[Server-devel] Early F11 XS build

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 25 20:17:50 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 12:44 +0100, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>   -- the vanilla F11 kernels fail to boot on the XO -- expected?
> >
> > I think it should boot but I don't think the boot.fth is created but
> > its been a while since I've got around to trying it on my XO.

Is this with anaconda or with your XO image? I've booted F11's anaconda
that was released on the dvd in my prior testing.

> boot.fth is created from the kickstart file. The missing thing are the
> symlinks (vmlinuz, initrd) but I've created those ok. The initrd is
> clearly unpacked and exec'd but t never completes booting.
>
> If it's expected to work, I can work on tracing WTH is going on. If
> it's known not to work for hard-to-fix reasons, well...

Around Aug 5 I created an XS iso that is bootable on the XO, uname
returns 2.6.29.6-213.fc11.i386 from tty2 in the installer.

> >>  - However, that means that making a bootable usb is harder for users.
> >
> > What causes it to be harder to make a bootable usb?
>
> To clarify -- a bootable installer. Making a bootable installer from a
> Fedora DVD involves downloading the netinst iso separately and copying
> it into the USB disk.

No, you just need files from /isolinux & /images on the dvd or disc1...
Doesn't mkusbinstall work anymore?
Well there is one thing that should be updated for F11, to avoid
confusing anaconda over method/repo/stage2. Edit the sed replacement
line replacing method= with repo=, the inner workings are slightly
different between F9 and F11.

Jerry