[Server-devel] Early F11 XS build

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 07:44:31 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>   -- the vanilla F11 kernels fail to boot on the XO -- expected?
>
> I think it should boot but I don't think the boot.fth is created but
> its been a while since I've got around to trying it on my XO.

boot.fth is created from the kickstart file. The missing thing are the
symlinks (vmlinuz, initrd) but I've created those ok. The initrd is
clearly unpacked and exec'd but t never completes booting.

If it's expected to work, I can work on tracing WTH is going on. If
it's known not to work for hard-to-fix reasons, well...

>>  - However, that means that making a bootable usb is harder for users.
>
> What causes it to be harder to make a bootable usb?

To clarify -- a bootable installer. Making a bootable installer from a
Fedora DVD involves downloading the netinst iso separately and copying
it into the USB disk.

>>  - Dependency chains are slimmer... but some are still bizarre. Bits
>> of kde and gnome are there.
>
> At a guess this is probably due to PolicyKit. I've had issues with it
> in the past.

Yes, PK is the main culprit. Posted to fedora-olpc on this topic yesterday...

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com