[Server-devel] CCCS XS deployment

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 11 20:50:58 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 15:23 -0400, Josh Totoro wrote:
> Hey all,
>

> We currently have 350 xo’s on our network and 1 xs server running.

How well does the XS fair when fully loaded? What specs?

> We just purchased 300 more xo’s and will purchase 300 more in a month
> or so.

Yea, more fun for you. ;)

> When I set up the first XS server back in march (0.5.1) there was a
> lot more info on the Wiki about setting up multiple XS servers in one
> network.  Does anyone have any of this info available still or does it
> no longer apply?

As network_config is used for the setup for the server's "role", only
"role 1" provides internet access, and a large netblock on eth1, while
role > 1 assumes that you have only one nic and are using "AA" to
contact the XO's. So we are really in uncharted waters here..

Think the easiest way would to have the wired lan on "role 1" handle
less of the netblock and allocate the addresses across the "XS server
farm" in the form of a new lanbond0 file that would take into account
the fact that the role other that 1 should create the needed network
configuration. I'm thinking a /23 for each XS's wired nic here.

Anybody running more that 500 clients off a single XS?

Of course you would have to change the bind/dhcp config to match...

Martin, what do you think?

> Should we set up all XS servers the same way and let them run
> individually from each other? I am worried about conflicts with using
> the same name schoolserver.cccs.org, should the next one be
> schoolserver2.cccs.org or will that prevent things like ejabberd from
> working.

Until the above issue is addressed, that might get a bit out of hand
with 2 lans sharing the same address space.

Just tossing around ideas...

Jerry