[Server-devel] fresh 0.6 install

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 09:57:24 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Tim Moody <timmoody at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>> There was a complaint about /var/lib/pgsql/data missing.
>>> There was a complaint about upgrading moodle.

Even if it "complaints", as long as it succeeds we are in business.
The logfile /var/log/moodle-instupg.log should end with a line that
talks about 'Success', can you check?

>>> The release notice says 9-0.5.2, but I'm pretty sure is was 0.6d5 and
>>> xs-config on disk is 0.6.0.14.

That is normal. Will update it for the release :-)

> I was thinking of two physically separate lan segments.  Also, the box is
> dual boot and the third nic is used in the other configuration.

That might confuse the XS -- let's first make sure we can get it going
with the 3 NICs plugged in, but with the LAN running just on one of
them. Let's leave the 3rd nic unused.

> eth1 was physically present in the box.  it just didn't have anything
> connected to it.  I supposed that the server could be installed before the
> ap was attached. Is it necessary to have the AP attached and powered up
> during the install?  What IP address should the AP have in order not to bump
> into the XS's dhcp and still be on the proper subnet?

No need to have the AP connected, or anything. The subnet starts at
172.18.96.x but dhcpd will hand out leases there. I would suggest an
IP address on a different subnet actually (10.0.0.0).

> I tried the AP on both eth1 and eth2; didn't seem to make a difference.

How did you test that? ethtool? The connection to the AP will need a
crossover cable unless the NICs are Gigabit.

> Is running /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/domain_config <hostname> still
> required?

Only once, but once you run it dhcpd should start ok, and hostname -f
should say the right thing without hand editing of
/etc/sysconfig/network

> You're right.  I left it blank like the example in the docs.  I did put
> schoolserver.localdomain in /etc/sysconfig/network, but that doesn't seem to
> have done anything.

Ummm, localdomain? that doesn't sound right...

>> cat /etc/sysconfig/xs_domain_name
>
> [root at schoolserver ~]#  cat /etc/sysconfig/xs_domain_name
> cat: /etc/sysconfig/xs_domain_name: No such file or directory

You do need to run domain_config :-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com