[Server-devel] Notes about XS on XO...

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 19:05:18 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Now things get interesting, /library could be setup as a broken mirror,
> one half of a raid 1 set... plug second drive in, add to mirror,
> replicate.... If you in the the past have seen DMC's live installer
> discussed on the fedora livecd list, that is where I'd like to go...

I'll read up on that.

> Think I like it... Since /library will be on an USB disk, /var, /tmp,
> and swap should most likely be there also.
> I think fstab should be able to handle the setup upon boot.

I'm not sure if all of /var and /tmp

> OK lets backup a second, I'm thinking that the OS could be on a SD
> disk/NAND with an external USB harddrive holding most of the write
> intensive directories. thoughts?

My plan is to use a high quality SD card, not NAND (jffs2 complexity,
slow, small, etc). And the USB hd holding the _large_ directories.
Some stuff in /var is somewhat write intensive but very small, so a
lazy commit policy will be just the ticket -- I think all of /var on
usb might be harder.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com