[Server-devel] Notes about XS on XO...

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 13 21:31:31 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 19:05 -0500, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> > OK lets backup a second, I'm thinking that the OS could be on a SD
> > disk/NAND with an external USB harddrive holding most of the write
> > intensive directories. thoughts?
>
> My plan is to use a high quality SD card, not NAND (jffs2 complexity,
> slow, small, etc). And the USB hd holding the _large_ directories.
> Some stuff in /var is somewhat write intensive but very small, so a
> lazy commit policy will be just the ticket -- I think all of /var on
> usb might be harder.

Just a question, would we be needing a do-it-yourself explanation of the
steps involved, or are we just going to distribute an image that you
could write to a partition? Both?

I have a XO using a 4gig SD card, started life out as
xo-1-olpc-stream-8.2.1-devel_ext3.img, with the XS repos added, yum
installing xs-pkgs, xs-config now... I've ran into some funny dep issues
but brute forced my way round them. I have some notes around, will try
to add them to the wiki at some point. I've excluded the kernel from
being updated at this point, I'll try a newer kernel at some point
later, just waiting for yum to finish and try rebooting this puppy.
Woohoo reboot time... rats network is broken...

Time to dig/fix,

Jerry