[Server-devel] Mass olpc-update via XS?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 20:38:03 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> Daniel Drake, currently in Paraguay, wants to try implementing the procedure
> described in
>
>   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Mstone/Commentaries/Mass_olpc-update

Interesting. I didn't know cjb had forked my code. Should I fold his
code and ship it with the XS? Chris, can you tell me more about the
patches?

(Gentlemen, in general I want to hear about changes to my code, even
if they are bespoke. I may find ways to do what you wanted to do in a
generally releaseable version. git is nice in that it makes it easy to
fork without telling anyone. That's a double-edged sword if I ever saw
one...)

> via XSen (using DNS to redirect the XOs' theft-deterrence protocol requests to
> the local XS.) However, after briefly scanning the wiki, I noticed that we have

Makes sense

>   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Blueprints:Lease_and_update_server
>   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS-activation
>   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS-rsync
>
> but no sign of an XS-ified theft deterrence protocol server. Now, to the best
> of my (limited) knowledge, there is one usefully complete implementation of the
> protocol,

The theft-deterrent protocol thingsi a bit of a can of worms...

>   http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/cscott/act-server;a=summary

That';s a lot of code, you might want to extract only the bit that
talks the proto. That's my plan anyway.

> In conclusion, do you currently know any problems that would prevent merging
> whatever packages he and I create for his XSen (probably based on Scott's code)
> into the main XS tree, assuming that we provide suitable documentation
> alongside them?
>
> Anyone got any better ideas about how to accomplish our goal?

You _only_ want "no touch" mass updates?

My hope is that we move towards something that addresses what I
roughly started to flesh out in
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Blueprints:Lease_and_update_server
(which is sorely incomplete.

But that's a big mission.