[Server-devel] Mass olpc-update via XS?

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Wed Feb 18 18:54:38 EST 2009

Dear XS folks,

Daniel Drake, currently in Paraguay, wants to try implementing the procedure
described in

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Mstone/Commentaries/Mass_olpc-update

via XSen (using DNS to redirect the XOs' theft-deterrence protocol requests to
the local XS.) However, after briefly scanning the wiki, I noticed that we have

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Blueprints:Lease_and_update_server
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS-activation
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS-rsync

but no sign of an XS-ified theft deterrence protocol server. Now, to the best
of my (limited) knowledge, there is one usefully complete implementation of the
protocol,

   http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/cscott/act-server;a=summary

which was deployed in production at

   antitheft.laptop.org    and
   activation.laptop.org

and used to update several thousand G1G1'07 machines.

(The installation of the code on those machines is, as usual, thoroughly
documented internally at Machine:antitheft and Machine:activation pages, for
those with access; some small bits of censorship /are/ needed before
publication.)

In conclusion, do you currently know any problems that would prevent merging
whatever packages he and I create for his XSen (probably based on Scott's code)
into the main XS tree, assuming that we provide suitable documentation
alongside them?

Anyone got any better ideas about how to accomplish our goal?

Thanks,

Michael