[Server-devel] offline moodle

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Wed Sep 3 23:01:20 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 12:43 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> > hey Tony, this is a good start. I have a somewhat different workflow in
> > mind. Here is a narrative that describes what I am thinking
> >
> > User Story 1: Intermittent School attendance and School Server Outage
>
> Your user story is roughly what offline moodle is aiming for, except
> that by the magic of using GG, step 5 'downloads' content  (and JS
> code) _to Browse_. Content that Browse can navigate locally, even if
> the network server is not available.

Then I have several questions, how many courses would offline moodle
cache locally? And how could a kid dump one course they took offline but
keep others? To browse to a cached course would gears have to cache all
the pages on the way to cached course? Or for the kid to bookmark the
cached course and use it to access it later?

I think a bookmark wouldn't be very intuitive.

> So instead of opening a dedicated 'activity', users go to Browse and
> when they click on the 'Schoolserver' link Gears takes over (if the XS
> is not reachable) and they can use offline moodle.
>
> > The key here is that we need to package each offline moodle course
> as
> > an .XO Activity Bundle. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_bundles
>
> IMO that path would be a huge amount of work, and a bit of a dead end
> WRT updates and such. Cant' really recommend it. It is also a bespoke
> effort- nothing else supports activity bundles, so there's no
> incentive for Moodle to remain compatible to it.

Sure, but my focus is making it easy for the kids to easily view
multiple courses offline. I am only interested in Offline Moodle insofar
as it supports that goal.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director